Modern cars, it’s often said, lack both the style and the soul of cars from the past, but there’s no denying the fact that they’re generally faster, more fuel efficient, and safer. The best of both worlds, then, would be a modern car wrapped in vintage sheetmetal, which is exactly the reasoning behind the first-generation Mustang replicas now being produced by Revology in Winter Park, Florida.
Starting with a Ford-licensed Dynacorn body, in either fastback or convertible style, Revology will build buyers a complete, Ford-licensed replica of a 1966 Mustang. Perhaps restomod is a better term than replica, because beneath the skin the Revology Mustang sports a modern suspension (though still with a live axle out back) and a modern drivetrain. Unlike restorations, the finished product even carries a warranty, covering the buyer for one year bumper-to-bumper, three years on powertrain and five years on body corrosion, as long as the car isn’t driven in “extreme weather conditions” on salted roads.
It would be logical to assume that a current 5.0-liter Coyote V-8 powers the replica, or even the previous-generation 4.6-liter V-8, but the recent modular V-8s don’t fit between the front suspension mounting points without serious modifications to the structure. Instead, Revology uses the 5.0-liter V-8 from earlier Mustangs, purchased as rebuilt directly from Ford and coupled to a Ford-rebuilt transmission (a five-speed manual is standard, but an automatic is also available). Revology isn’t releasing horsepower numbers for the EFI V-8, but in the 1995 Mustang the engine was rated at 225 horsepower and 300 pound-feet of torque.
Inside the cabin, the Mustang carries modern touches like power door locks, power windows, a power trunk release, remote keyless entry, Bluetooth phone connectivity, a tilt steering wheel, a power driver’s seat and a modern gauge display, complete with a trip computer. Concessions to safety include reinforced door beams, three-point seat belts, a dual-chamber master cylinder and a collapsible steering column. Headlamps and taillamps may look like the original units, but behind the lenses are modern LED lights.
The man behind Revology, its self-proclaimed “chief revologist,” is Tom Scarpello, who ran Ford’s Special Vehicle Team from 1998 to 2004. That means the company has strong ties to Ford, which explains why the replicas are Ford-licensed and can be serviced for warranty repairs at participating Ford dealers. Revology is even seen as a low-volume manufacturer, meaning its cars are titled as replicas and equipped with a unique and original 17-digit VIN, as opposed to the 11-digit VIN carried on original 1966 Mustangs. For those living in states that don’t allow licensing of replica vehicles, Revology has a solution: Customers can supply a first generation Mustang of their own, and the company will build it into a comparable car, tiled and licensed with the original’s VIN.
As one would guess, such a low-volume, hand-built car comes at a premium price. Before checking off any of the option boxes (which include things like a high-output V-8, an upgraded audio system, performance suspension and brakes, leather seating surfaces and even Reverse Park Assist), pricing for the fastback model begins at $119,500, with the convertible starting at $122,000. On the one hand, finding a clean original Mustang and funding a top-shelf restoration could easily reach (or exceed) this number, but on the other hand, restored original cars are more likely to retain value or appreciate as the years go by.
As a daily driver, then, the Revology Mustang may be the best of both worlds for those wanting a “new” 1966 Mustang, assuming the price is within budget. For more information, visit RevologyCars.com.
Article courtesy of Hemmings Daily, written by Kurt Ernst.
Handsome even in standard body configurations, Lincoln’s new-for-1932 KB models also offered an array of coachbuilt bodies from firms like Murphy, Brunn, Judkins and Dietrich. Four body styles were offered by Dietrich, including the Custom Stationary Coupe, of which just 17 were built. Three are known to survive today, and on Friday, March 13, a 1932 Lincoln KB Custom Stationary Coupe crossed the auction stage at Amelia Island, where it sold for a fee-inclusive price of $836,000.
In addition to a nine-inch-longer wheelbase (145 inches, versus the KA’s 136 inches), KB models also came with a 12-cylinder L-head engine that soon became renowned for its durability. The engine displaced 447.9-cu.in. and its installed weight was said to top 1,000 pounds. Its design called for a forged-steel crankshaft carried in seven main bearings. Output was a sound 150 horsepower and 292 pound-feet of torque, though given the KB’s curb weight of over two and a half tons, the Lincoln was not a sports car.
Chassis KB 816, the car sold at Amelia Island, was believed to be one of five Custom Stationary Coupes built by Dietrich for the auto show circuit. All auto show cars were finished in Seagate Blue, this car’s original color, and KB 816 was thought to be the car shown at the 1932 Los Angeles Auto Salon. Its immediate post-show history is unknown, though in 1934, the car was sold to a used car dealer in San Francisco who specialized in used luxury cars from the Southern California market. The Lincoln reportedly caught the eye of a Swedish citizen living in the San Francisco area, and he became the owner of record until the late 1940s.
Its next owner was tea and spice heir Carl Schilling, who spent the postwar years acquiring an impressive collection of custom-bodied Lincolns and spare parts. Under his ownership, the car was restored for the first time, and its worn engine swapped with a low-mileage example from a 1933 KB. Schilling owned the car until his death in 1954, at which time it was bequeathed to friend and fellow Lincoln enthusiast Toni Porta, along with a stockpile of spare parts.
In 1968, the Lincoln was sold to Jim Weston, who funded a complete restoration, with the intention of campaigning the car on the show circuit. After over four years of work, chassis KB 816 made its debut at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance, where it took third in its class. Weston reportedly used the car on a regular basis, as the stately Lincoln coupe was a frequent sight at Northern California CCCA gatherings.
Since Weston’s ownership, KB 816 has passed through the collections of three additional owners, including the consignor, who shipped it off for a no-expense-spared restoration with Stephen Babinsky of Lebanon, New Jersey. Fittingly, the car again made a second post-restoration debut at Pebble Beach in 2012, this time earning second in class and collecting The Lincoln Trophy from Edsel B. Ford II. According to Gooding & Company, the car has been “selectively displayed” in the years since, and was offered for public sale for the first time (since the 1930s, anyway) at Amelia Island.
Article courtesy of Hemmings Daily, written by Kurt Ernst.
In 2008, when Don Voth asked Chip Foose to design a 1965 Chevrolet Impala SS for his wife, Elma, his initial requests were fairly straightforward. Don wanted a car with more contemporary handling, and thought that the Impala would look even better if shortened up a bit. From that starting point, Foose designed and built a car dubbed The Imposter, and on Sunday, at the 2015 Detroit Autorama, it earned the builder his fourth Ridler Award and the owners their first.
Look closely enough, and it’s easy to see the origin of the car’s name. The hidden push-button door handles are a clue, as is the fuel-filler positioned in the center of the rear deck, immediately behind the rear window (and best seen in the video below). Those are Corvette traits, and beneath its altered 1965 Impala body, The Imposter is built upon the chassis and mechanicals of a 2009 Corvette, purchased new specifically for the build from a dealership just blocks away from Foose’s workshop.
Per Don’s initial request, a total of 14 inches was removed from the Impala’s body, including 8 inches from the roof (which moved the windshield header back one and a quarter inches, steepening the rake) and 6 inches from the rear quarter panels and decklid. Despite these alterations, the Corvette chassis still needed to be stretched by 8 inches to fit the Impala’s modified wheelbase. Foose and his team went to great lengths to retain the Corvette’s stock wiring and dashboard (including navigation and OnStar functionality), making The Imposter a unique blend of full-on custom and production car.
Like the 2009 Corvette, The Imposter seats two and comes powered by 6.2-liter pushrod V-8. Underhood, however, Foose added a one-off cold air intake system, a Magnuson supercharger and a custom performance exhaust, in keeping with the car’s design inspiration. In Foose’s words, The Imposter was built to answer the question, “What if, in 1965, GM’s Corvette studio decided to build a muscle car?”
The Imposter was not built with the goal of winning a Ridler Award in mind, although achieving this milestone had been a lifelong dream of Don and Elma Voth. Originally, the car was meant to be a daily driver for Elma, as the couple had honeymooned at Disneyland in another 1965 Chevrolet Impala. Given all the work that’s gone into it since, The Imposter is very likely reserved for special occasions around the Voth household. As Foose told The Detroit News on Sunday, Ridler Award judges look for the worst areas on each of the “Great Eight” finalists, and the car with the best worst area is ultimately the winner. At Cobo Hall this weekend, The Imposter met that criteria.
Other cars in the Great Eight, pictured in the gallery below, included a 1959 Rambler American two-door wagon, owned by Dean Osland of Scottsdale, Arizona; a 1956 Plymouth convertible, owned by Gil Losi of Murrieta, California; a 1932 Ford roadster, owned by Al Nagale of Wilmette, Illinois; a 1937 Ford “woodie” wagon, owned by Mike and Belinda Terzich of Gibsonia, Pennsylvania; a 1965 Dodge Dart, owned by Willie Maise of Hokes Bluff, Alabama; a 1969 Chevrolet Camaro, owned by Alan Reed of Baton Rouge, Louisiana; and a 1969 Ford Mustang, owned by Tim Palazzolo of Houston, Texas.
Article courtesy of Hemmings Daily, written by Kurt Ernst.
A Hemi-Powered Roadster is the 66th Grand National Roadster Show Big Winner
There are a lot of ways for a farmer to have some fun but receiving the recognition as the 2015 America's Most Beautiful Roadster at the 66th Grand National Roadster Show is a great start. Larry Olson of Sioux Falls, South Dakota, is no stranger to hot rods. He's had them all his life and he's had all years and makes but his latest definitely separates himself from the rodding crowd, and this roadster is one-of-a-kind within his own collection. Having already teamed up with Bobby Alloway of Alloway's Hot Rods out of Louisville, Tennessee, on several previous occasions this current ride represents the epitome of what can be accomplished. Construction took two years, which in the rodding world is barely a fortnight.
Upon first and maybe second glance, this 1933 Ford roadster looks stock—but it isn't. There are both subtle as well as dramatic changes that lead to the striking appearance. The changes are much more significant than anyone taking a casual view would catch, which makes the subtle changes even more dramatic and appealing.
Steve's Auto Restorations (SAR) supplied the 1933 Ford steel sporting a 2-inch chopped windshield that was laid back 3 inches from its upright stock position. If you want to go by the numbers, get ready. The front fenders were stretched 2 inches just in front of where they meet the running boards. Next the SAR sheetmetal was dropped onto the Alloway-fabricated chassis based on reproduction 1933 Ford 'rails from Hotshoe Hot Rods. Alloway modified the 'rails with his crossmembers along with a 1932 front crossmember and stretched the frame 2 inches, increasing the wheelbase to 114 inches. Holding the fenders in position are Alloway custom-made braces that also serve as upper shock and headlight mounts. At this point the front wheels were centered in the wheel opening by reshaping the fender sheetmetal. The front fenders also were "pulled down" to go beneath the custom-made aluminum Valley grille and insert. Did we mention with the stretched wheelbase and reshaped front fenders a stock length Rootlieb hood was used. However the louvered hood sides and splash aprons were lengthened. It's here the casual eye is thrown off and may not notice the front sheetmetal mods. So as not to feel "left out" the rear fenders and gas tank cover were bobbed—each 3 inches. Sitting between the fore and aft fenders are sedan, yes sedan, doors that were modified to fit the roadster body—they're approximately 4 inches longer than roadster doors. Why? The larger doors give greater and easier access to the interior. The roadster is striking in its appearance and the PPG black (9700 basecoat with DCU 2002 Concept clearcoat) over the Alloway shop bodywork and resting beneath the Josh Shaw flame layout and 'striping and along with the Wade Hughes flames makes it all happen. Lighting front and rear comes by way of a 1933 Ford but the stanchions are custom from the workbench at Alloway's Hot Rod Shop.
We mentioned all this beauty is resting on an Alloway chassis but we didn't mention the particulars. Johnson's Hot Rod/Perfection Hot Rod Parts supplied the 5-inch drop and drilled billet axle, Super Bell spindles, Pete & Jake's shocks, and held in position by PHRP billet wishbones with a Posies front spring. Steering is the hot rodding staple—Vega box linked to an ididit steering column. Braking is more from PHRP in the form of Kinmont-style drum covers over Stainless Steel Brake Corporation calipers; the master cylinder is a Wilwood product. Operation of the custom brake package falls to a Kugel Komponents underdash swing pedal assembly. Braking in the rear is something many hot rodders are familiar with—Ford 9-inch drums now resting within the PHRP Kinmont-style brake covers.
Since we mentioned the rear braking we should also point out the basis for the rear suspension is centered on a Winters V-8 quick-change, PHRP drilled billet ladder bars, a Posies buggy spring, Pete & Jake's shocks, the aforementioned Kinmont-style brakes, while all of the brightwork throughout the car was handled by Dan's Polishing.
This bad boy looking hot rod sits on another Alloway trademark—an impressive set of big 'n' littles. Manufactured by Billet Specialties the Alloway ET-style wheels wrapped with Michelin rubber pencil out at 18x10 rears and 15x4 fronts with 275/60R18s and 135/75R15s. It's both impressive and distinctive and will only be found on Alloway-built hot rods. Adding to the overall appearance is the black leather stitchwork by Steve Holcomb the caretaker of Pro Auto Upholstery. Carpeting is more of Holcomb's handiwork, utilizing black Daytona-weave carpeting. Some call the interior "plain" but Alloway says, "An interior shouldn't be the first thing you see when looking at a hot rod, it should complement the overall look." We would have to agree the interior is good looking, it's not overpowering, and it's spacious and oh-so comfy—you gotta drive 'em, so you might as well be comfortable. Other interior viewing points include the 1933 Nash instrument cluster and insert cradled within a 1933 Ford dash. Classic Instruments massaged the gauges, making them striking in appearance but not removing their original appeal. The basic yet elegant interior approach also shows off the '50s-era Motorola accessory radio that is linked to a 1957 Cadillac speaker—both center mounted beneath the instrument cluster. We've mentioned the ididit steering column but we didn't mention that it's topped with a 1962 Corvette steering wheel—homage to the Corvette's performance lineage and its ties to hot rodding. Look past the three-spoke wheel and you will see a Johnson Hot Rod Shop shifter and shift knob that aptly controls the Legend Super Sport five-speed mechanical box. The shifter is drilled similarly to the spokes on the wheel and reminiscent to the holes drilled on the I-beam axle, wishbones, and ladder bars.
Saving the best for last: Any hot rod, especially one that is to represent America's Most Beautiful Roadster, should have lots of thunder underhood. Couple this with Alloway's reputation for copious amounts of horsepower and you truly have a hot rod! The rumble from within comes out of a 1955 Dodge 241-inch Red Ram Hemi built by Keasler Racing. It really does take a sharp eye to "see" that all of the vintage go-fast parts we have come to admire are really there for show and a little for go. The "go" is hidden and hidden very well, as this Hemi is as modern in its operation as any mod motor but looks the part of a vintage V-8.
There is no mistaking a pair of Hemi valve covers but in this case these didn't come by way of Detroit—no these came from O'Brien Truckers. Did we mention they're polished to a mirror-like finish by Dan's Polishing? There is a stunning amount of brightwork within the engine compartment and it is easy to become caught up in the mirror finish and not pay attention to the mechanics. The polished Weiand Drag Star intake is topped with six, yes six, Stromberg 97 carbs and decked with OTB Gear air cleaners. But that's where their function stops. No fuel passes through these chrome-plated vintage two-barrel carbs; air is all that passes through these venturis. The baby Hemi was converted to electronic fuel injection, utilizing Big Stuff computer and harness. Keasler Racing hid the EFI components within the heads and under the billet valley plate. Exiting the spent gases goes by way of the custom headers and exhaust system from Barrillaro Speed Emporium run through Porter mufflers. Other engine appointments include the MSD ignition and Taylor primary wires, Powermaster alternator, and a copper/brass radiator by Steve Long.
It's never easy and it's never unanimous but having your roadster selected as America's Most Beautiful Roadster at any Grand National Roadster Show is an overwhelming honor. The way we see it Larry will have to limber the legs on this roadster come the summer rodding season to prove to one and all it deserves the accolades.
Article courtesy of Hotrod Network, written by Brian Brennan.
While researching our recent story on the 50th anniversary of the Mark IV big-block Chevrolet V-8, we came across something odd, something we’d never seen before – and it appears not many other people had seen it before either. Two photos in the GM Media database that showed two experimental big-blocks that very well could have set the American high-performance scene on its ear, had they been developed: one of a single overhead-camshaft hemi-headed 427, another of a fuel-injected hemi-headed big-block with pushrods.
Neither of the photos appear in any of our searches, and a few days of searching led only to vague mentions here and there about Zora Arkus-Duntov and Chevrolet taking a crack at single overhead-camshaft, double overhead-camshaft, and hemi-headed versions of both the big-block and small-block in the mid- to late 1960s. No photos, no links to direct sources, just mentions of old magazine articles.
GM itself wasn’t able to provide much more information. Corvette historian and author Ken Kaiser shed a little more light on the engines in the photos; according to Ken, they depict 1966-1967 vintage big-blocks, and the work order number stamped into the hemi-headed engine – 28451-20-A – denotes the first (and likely only) engine of its kind. The blockoff plate on the single overhead-camshaft engine above suggests it was meant to carry a fuel injection system of some sort, possibly the same or similar to the one we see on the hemi-headed engine below.
The triple-row timing chain above looks rather stout (and not nearly as long as the Ford SOHC 427′s seven-foot timing chain) and appears as though it would have resided under a cover that encompassed the entire front of the engine, though we don’t see in the photo any direct connection between the crankshaft and the camshafts, and we’d have to wonder whether the cover and the chain would interfere with the water pump. The shaft-mounted valvetrain appears fairly straightforward and those huge intake ports look like a direct shot into the combustion chamber.
UPDATE: McGean pointed out that there is a direct connection between the crankshaft and camshaft – it’s just really hard to see those dark gears sunk into the front of the engine. He also points out that the entire plate behind the timing chain appears to bolt to the existing holes for the regular (OHV) Mark IV timing chain cover, which would indicate that this whole unit was designed to bolt on to an unmodified Mark IV block.
This shot of the pushrod-activated hemi-headed design appears to show a somewhat complicated setup with the intake valves actuated directly by the camshaft, but the exhaust valves actuated by a set of intermediary pushrods. Where we’d expect to see holes for the spark plugs in the middle of the cylinder head, as on a Chrysler Hemi (and it looks like they’d have enough space there), we see only what appears to be untapped bosses of some sort. For that matter, we don’t see any place in the single overhead-camshaft heads for spark plugs either. That mechanical fuel-injection system looks pretty killer, though.
This was about the same time Oldsmobile was experimenting with its W-43 and OW-43 hemi-headed V-8s, and those experimental engines look remarkably similar to these two. Undoubtedly, Chevrolet in particular – and GM’s engineers as a whole – were feeling some pressure from Chrysler’s Hemi 426, introduced in 1964, and Ford’s FE-series 427s, including the SOHC, which was introduced in 1965. Whether these Mark IV big-blocks were meant to compete with Ford and Chrysler on the street or just on the race track, we can only speculate.
As for their ultimate fates and why Chevrolet decided not to go down this particular road, nobody we’ve spoken with seems to know.
Article courtesy of Hemmings Daily, written by Daniel Strohl.